METAVERSE NEWS: Upland’s Next Sport Affiliation
Metaverse News: The day Upland Announced Rio De Janeiro, Brazil would be the first international city rumours started floating around that after NFL (Hand Egg) the next sport to hit Upland will be Football (Soccer). This was subsequently confirmed by Upland’s association with FC Porto and Football (Soccer) is indeed in Upland Metaverse now.
This is a proven model that works since 1900 when collecting rare baseball cards was a hot trend. In fact, one of the major Blockchain play-to-earn games is called Gods Unchained. It is a game based on virtual cards for various gods who battle each other.
Iterating on that, if Upland is already working on Football (Soccer), which we know post-FC Porto announcement – we at The Metaverse Street Journal thought let us explore what other sport could Upland pursue and if we could help them think through it.
Here are our suggestions:
- Formula 1
- With cars now officially launched in Upland Metaverse, it is no surprise that our Number 1 winner of the suggestion for the next sport to enter Upland is Formula 1 Racing.
- Who would not want to race Lewis Hamilton, Michael Schumacher or Sebastian Vettel within Upland to a Metaverse Race as part of a Tournament?
- Vettel has recently announced his retirement from F1 racing for reasons including not wanting to contribute to the climate costs of conducting races – but races in the Metaverse can avoid any such negative environmental impact. In fact this could very easily be organised as a charity event to benefit society at large.
- It is, therefore, no surprise that our undisputed number 1 winner of the next sport to be included in Upland should be Formula 1.
- Indian Premier League (IPL)
- The reason we think IPL should be considered as the next sport is actually very strategic and there is robust reasoning behind this suggestion. IPL as the name suggests is the equivalent in cricket to what FIFA or UEFA is for the football world.
- Where is cricket the most famous you ask? Well, it’s the unofficial national sport of India, and very popular in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Bangladesh, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, UAE, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe – there are all in all major 15 countries.
- According to ICC (International Cricket Council), the International Cricket Governing Body, around 1.6 Billion people watch cricket which all in all is 22.86% of the global population or just shy of 1/4th of the world population, especially with India contributing the Lion’s Share to this. There are some unconfirmed sources that even put this number as high as 2.5 Billion People. Imagine if we count the number of people who play the sport – that will be no small number!
- The revenue of IPL was just short of $650 Million last year.
- Indian Premier League’s association with Upland Metaverse would set the stage for Upland’s growth trajectory similar to what translations did for Facebook and start the j curve hockey growth, for all intents and purposes Upland isn’t that famous in India and the Hindi community in Upland comprising of both Indians, Pakistani’s and other Hindi/Urdu speaking community. We couldn’t agree more that the inclusion of cricket in the Upland Metaverse would propel Upland’s growth into the South Asian Community.
- With all of this considered, this is the reason IPL is our Number 2 recommendation to Upland to consider for the next sport after Formula 1.
- (Also, I the author Tan, am Indian and would love to also personally see Upland have IPL as well as onboard Indians into Upland.)
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- Basketball continues to be a leading sport to play and watch in the American continent and Europe, and to a lesser extent China and other countries in Asia. For all the international players, we know a few very famous teams, for instance, Mark Cuban’s Dallas Mavericks from Shark Tank, Chicago Bulls, LA Lakers, Miami Heat, Golden State Warriors – These don’t need any marketing, their name is enough.
- For many of us, basketball is synonymous with NBA tournaments. From huge celebrities in attendance to major philanthropists coming out of Basketball like Shaq and Jordan, basketball is a sport that has much to offer beyond just the court.
- Basketball could also set the stage for the international players sitting on the sidelines with NFLPA Legits primarily because the NFL is not that famous marketing-wise outside of the USA, so those players will enter the Legits and Sports NFT Marketplace in the Upland Metaverse. Football (Soccer) is already doing that in a major way, but NBA also commands respect and recognition and we think it would help.
- Tennis (incl Australian Open)
- We all love Serena Wiliams, Venus Williams, Rafel Nadal, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, and Nick Kyrgios- each and every one of these are legendary tennis celebrities and more. They don’t need an introduction, their reputation precedes them.
- Tennis tournaments like the Grand Slams and especially the Australian Open would be a great addition to Upland’s NFT Legits. This has to be our undisputed number 4 winner for the next sport that should enter the Upland Metaverse.
- This would also help the ever-growing Australian Community with the Championship being one of the flagship events for Australia’s leadership on the Global Stage and no doubt hosting it in Upland Metaverse will make our Australian community members very proud.
- We all know of Major League Baseball (MLB). It is a professional baseball organization and the oldest major professional sports league in the world.
- MLB.TV set numerous records for streaming through the first part of the 2022 season as fans watched more than 2.8 billion minutes of live games on MLB.TV. If these games were to also be hosted within the Upland Metaverse, the reach could be even higher.
- We are talking about Field Hockey here. Despite the popularity of Ice Hockey in North America, this suggestion has a very important reason – while ice hockey is much more popular to watch around the world, field hockey is more popular than ice hockey in one big way: There are more registered field hockey players than ice hockey players worldwide. Shocking, right? In fact, people play field hockey in over 100 countries throughout the world.
- The Men’s FIH Pro League also known as Hockey Pro League is an international men’s field hockey competition organised by the International Hockey Federation, which replaces the Men’s FIH Hockey World League. The competition also serves as a qualifier for the Hockey World Cup and the Olympic Games. The first edition started in 2019, and a young League would be a good fit for the up-and-coming Metaverse.
- We also have Euro Hockey League, Hockey India League, Premier Hockey League, National Hockey League etc.
- Badminton is a racquet sport played using racquets to hit a shuttlecock across a net. Although it may be played with larger teams of rotating players, like tennis, the most common forms of the game are “singles” and “doubles”.
- The National Badminton League is a professional team badminton league in England. Organised by Badminton England, it was launched in October 2014 as the first-ever national badminton league in the UK. Reaching seven franchise teams in its third and final season, the inaugural season launched with six teams.
- Badminton in the Metaverse could be played by team badminton leagues or even an international league with teams from different countries.
- Volleyball is a team sport in which two teams of six players are separated by a net. Each team tries to score points by grounding a ball on the other team’s court under organized rules. It has been a part of the official program of the Summer Olympic Games since Tokyo 1964.
- The FIVB Volleyball World League is an annual international men’s volleyball competition. Created in 1990, it is the longest and richest of all the international events organized by the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball. The women’s version of the competition was called FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix.
- Karate also known as Karate Do (空手道) is a martial art developed in the Ryukyu Kingdom. It developed from the indigenous Ryukyuan martial arts under the influence of Chinese martial arts, particularly Fujian White Crane.
- Recent statistics indicate that about 50 million persons from all over the world from 191 national federations registered in the World Karate Federation (WKF) are currently active in this sport.
- According to Business Wire “Recent statistics indicate that about 50 million persons from all over the world from 191 national federations registered in the World Karate Federation (WKF) are currently active in this sport.”
- Golf is a club-and-ball sport in which players use various clubs to hit balls into a series of holes on a course in as few strokes as possible.
- The PGA Tour is the organizer of the main professional golf tours played by men in the United States and North America.
- There are 66.6 million golf players in the world, according to the latest stats posted by the R&A and Sports Marketing Survey in December 2021. This is a significant increase of 5.5 million players from the last survey done in 2016 and is evidence that record numbers are now playing golf worldwide.
You be the arbiter of the truth – our readers of The Metaverse Street Journal!